[python-committers] Bedevere now automatically removes "needs backport to *" labels

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed Jun 21 12:49:51 EDT 2017

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 at 08:37 Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > I think it's because there was no 'needs backport to 3.4' label from PR
> > 1849, so it doesn't make the comment about 3.4 backport PR.
>
> Oh, I see. These labels don't exist :-) Maybe we should add them, but
> only security changes should be backported to 3.3 and 3.4. I can do
> the bot job for these specific backports ;-)

Mariatta's right that the lack of label short-circuited leaving a comment
to avoid messing up with the detection of a backport PR. Basically if the
label doesn't exist then the assumption is the PR isn't actually a backport.

As for adding 3.3 and 3.4 labels, I'm somewhat with Terry that those should
be so rare to use that I don't' know if they are worth it. Plus we don't
want core devs forgetting that they shouldn't backport to those versions (I
know I wouldn't remember that Larry plans another 3.5 release if it wasn't
for the labels).