[python-committers] An alternative governance model

Łukasz Langa lukasz at langa.pl
Wed Jul 18 14:07:17 EDT 2018

> On Jul 18, 2018, at 11:54 AM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>
> Are you saying that we should use some method besides voting, or that a higher percentage of yea votes is required?  If the latter, I have no problem with 66% or 75%.

The cleanest way would be for Guido to choose but he already said he wants to stay out of the process.

With that in mind, one alternative is for the President of the PSF to choose ;-)

...so realistically the only alternative is a vote. Given the gravity of the situation (a decision on how future decisions are made; long-term consequences), I propose:

1. Define a committer as anybody with GitHub privileges. While not everybody on this mailing list decided to get GitHub credentials, they can do it at any point. At the same time, by defining the committer set as GitHub contributors, we solve the issue of inactive contributors. And this is important because...

2. Require 90% participation for the vote to be valid.

3. Require 90% votes in favor for the proposal to pass.

If 2. or 3. fail, back to the drawing board. I'd lower those requirements only after a few consecutive votes fail.

- Ł