[python-committers] Comments on moving issues to GitHub

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Fri Jun 1 19:54:35 EDT 2018

Hi Mariatta,

Le 02/06/2018 à 01:07, Mariatta Wijaya a écrit :

> For those who missed it, some resources:
>
> 1. My language summit slides
> (https://speakerdeck.com/mariatta/mariattas-python-language-summit-2018-presentation)
> There are 3 bonus slides at the end which I did not get to cover,
> because we were running late and it was lunchtime. (in the end, we were
> 3 hrs overtime.)
> Those can be discussed in core-workflow.
>
> 2. LWN article: https://lwn.net/Articles/754779/
> I will not be reading/responding to the comments in LWN. 🤐

Thanks for the pointers.

I agree with the UI concerns about b.p.o.  But I also agree with the
response mentioned in LWN.  Especially the lack of categorization in
Github issues.

I've used Github issues on other projects.  It's fine when you have a
small-to-medium number of open issues (say, no more than a couple
hundreds).  But I don't think it's usable for a project with several
thousands issues open.  At a micro level, the editing UI is pleasant to
use.  But at a more macro level, it's rather painful to navigate in a
large number of issues.

I wonder if other hosted services, such as Gitlab, offer a more
sophisticated issue tracker.

Regards

Antoine.