[python-committers] Comments on moving issues to GitHub

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 03:00:18 EDT 2018

On 3 June 2018 at 12:49, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 at 14:58 Ezio Melotti <ezio.melotti at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Even if the volunteers don't materialize (and I dematerialize), we
>> still have to determine if the cost of keep using b.p.o as is, is
>> greater than the cost of moving everything to a new system.
>>

> Yep.

Since even Mariatta's GitHub migration proposal is likely to require
changes to bugs.python.org (most notably adding the REST API to better
enable automated issue management), something that would be nice to see is
for b.p.o to migrate over to the common "Support repo" model we've adopted
(i.e. hosted on GitHub using the integrated issue tracker for repo-specific
issues).

I'll also email Maciej & EW Durbin ([1]) to see if they've had a chance to
discuss the rehosting plans for bugs.python.org yet.

Cheers,
Nick.

[1] the PSF's new Director of Infrastructure [2], who some folks may
already know from his extensive work on PyPI and other parts of the PSF
infrastructure, as well as chairing Python US in 2018/19
[2] https://twitter.com/EWDurbin/status/1001519029767561216