[python-committers] Changing commiter status (was: Missing In Action)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Jun 18 04:07:09 EDT 2018

Victor:

please make sure that you contact the developers whos status
you intend to modify prior to doing so. Being a core developer
of Python is a status and not something that should be changed
without consent by the developer in question.

Also note that the dev list log doesn't include all core developers.
Data from before the move to SVN in 2006 is essentially missing,
since AFAIK we never kept around a log of who received the core
bit before that.

And there were times when the core bit itself did not exist, since
all patches had to go through the small team around Guido
which had access to the CVS system at the time.

Overall, I think that removing repo or bpo permissions should be
kept separate from the status itself. It would probably be wise
to send around reminders to all core devs who have access and
have not used their permissions every few year. The keys of those
who don't respond could then be disabled, without affecting
anything else; and, of course, easily be reenabled if needed,
without much process either.

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Jun 18 2018)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/