[python-committers] Changing commiter status (was: Missing In Action)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 09:34:41 EDT 2018

On 18 June 2018 at 18:07, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> Overall, I think that removing repo or bpo permissions should be
> kept separate from the status itself. It would probably be wise
> to send around reminders to all core devs who have access and
> have not used their permissions every few year. The keys of those
> who don't respond could then be disabled, without affecting
> anything else; and, of course, easily be reenabled if needed,
> without much process either.

Aye, that's the key concept behind adding an explicit "Dormant" status
for core developers - they're folks that are still trusted with core
commit privileges if they choose to exercise them, but while they're
not using their access, it's better to deactivate their credentials to
reduce the potential for compromise.

We'd add a note to the developer guide that gave instructions on how
to request reactivation (likely just "Check the developer guide to
ensure you're up to speed with any changes since you were last active,
then past to python-committers requesting that your credentials be
reactivated").

Cheers,
Nick.