[python-committers] A different way to focus discussions

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Thu Jun 28 07:33:55 EDT 2018

Le 28/06/2018 à 13:04, Victor Stinner a écrit :
> It seems like the PEP 572 discussions restarted on python-dev mailing
> list with more than 100 emails in one week.
>
> Stupid idea: we created a mailing list just to fix os.random(): PEP
> 522 and PEP 524, whereas these discussions were not the ones with the
> most emails. Why not creating a new pep572 mailing list for the ones
> who don't want to follow PEP 572 discussions?

PEP 572 is a language-wide change.  Presumably those who don't want to
follow discussions will still want to give their opinion (or informal
vote) at the end.  Which will give rise to other discussions...

What strikes me is that we have such long-lasting and intense discussion
about a feature which, whether approved or not, will not significantly
change Python's popularity or appeal or ability to solve real-world
problems.

Perhaps this is a case where « Nature abhors a vacuum » : we're getting
focussed on whatever comes up to fill the narrative of Python's evolution.

Regards

Antoine.