[python-committers] Mentoring Office Hours - the idea, and a question

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Wed May 16 09:52:50 EDT 2018

Hey all,

At the Language Summit last week, after Mariatta's talk we had a
conversation around diversity and how to grow our contributor base, which
led to someone (Steve Dower?) suggesting we post a sort of "Office Hours"
list. This would be a list of current core developers who are interested in
being available at set time(s) for helping mentor newer contributors in our
community through our process and, if they're interested, mentoring them
through the process of becoming core developers themselves.

This "Office Hours" concept is a type of thing that has worked well
elsewhere, including around the software world, and we have some people
interested in offering said mentorship, so I would like to move on to
getting this list up somewhere so we can start doing it.

With that said, before I go make a PR to the devguide to start iterating on
the implementation, an important question:

As this is both an event similar to an in-person meetup and an event meant
to be a safe space for those getting started, it will explicitly mention
the code of conduct. As such, it needs a person/persons/list to contact
should something arise in this context that needs to be handled. What/who
should that be?
 * Suggestion 1: use the already in-place core-mentorship-owner at python.org,
though I can't tell who's on there.
 * Suggestion 2: Create some new list with a few key people on it.
 * Suggestion 3: List some direct names. Who?

As for implementation, there are some tools out there we could possibly
use, but in the interests of getting something out there I'm just going to
make a table and fill in some common information, starting with my own.
Calendar apps and other integrations can come as we figure them out.

Brian