[PYTHON-CRYPTO] Meta: Reply-To setting of this list (was PEP-272 ..)

Andy Dustman andy at DUSTMAN.NET
Fri Dec 14 17:29:47 CET 2001

On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 11:14, Michael Ströder wrote:
> Andy Dustman wrote:
> >
> > BTW, I think the list setting Reply-To: to go back to the original
> > sender is obnoxious. It may actually be more obnoxious than setting
>
> FYI:
> I switched off Reply-To: PYTHON-CRYPTO at NIC.SURFNET.NL intentionally
> because there were some replies going to the list obviously
> dedicated only to the sender of a posting. Also mailing lists tend
> to be more vulnerable for mail loops caused by vacation mailers if a

You missed the point: Having the list set Reply-To:, whether to the
original sender or to the list, is a nuisance.

The solution for vacation mailers is to kick them off the list with
extreme prejudice.

> Most MUAs have a quick button for "Reply To All" which should do the
> trick. And editing the To: and Cc: lines should not overstrain the
> capabilities of the folks here.

Then why set Reply-To: at all? Just "Reply To All" and remove the
recipients you don't want to send to (either the list or the sender).

--
Andy Dustman         PGP: 0x930B8AB6
    @       .net     http://dustman.net/andy