[PYTHON-CRYPTO] M2Crypto 0.16 mini-roadmap proposal

Heikki Toivonen heikki at OSAFOUNDATION.ORG
Tue Feb 14 19:23:12 CET 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Is it really necessary to require such a recent OpenSSL version?
>
> How about conditionally compiling the parts that don't work with older
> OpenSSL versions?

That's certainly possible, but I was hoping I could avoid that.
Currently all of M2Crypto functionality is available regardless of
OpenSSL version. If we go this route, we will have to document things
that only work with OpenSSL 0.9.8 and newer.

Also, I am not sure which is the best way to implement things on Python
side that depends on stuff that is only compiled with OpenSSL 0.9.8.
Implement the method, and rely on Python automatically raising an
exception if the OpenSSL function doesn't exist? Protect OpenSSL 0.9.8
only constructs with if statements in Python code so that they won't
even be visible if an older version of OpenSSL was used? Something else?
i.e.:

foo():
  m2.some_openssl_098_function()

or