[Python-cuba] Work Group Report for november

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 16:27:03 EST 2015

On 12/5/15, Pablo Gabriel Celayes <pablocelayes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone!

Hi !
:)

> Anything to add to the report for the last month?

I am not very familiar with the mechanics of reporting ... but , in
spite of creating a favorable and open atmosphere , I'll sketch what
I'm starting to do this side , even if there are not yet real results
that can be shown . Progress so far has been really limited (I've been
quite busy these days) . I'm planning to start moving a bit faster
starting next week

1. I've contacted some local groups in Havana and they have WELCOMED
(<= yeah with capital letters ;) the idea of encouraging the
participation of speakers talking about subjects related to Python .
Monthly meetings are already happening so the goal here is more likely
to look for people working with Python-powered techs and/or keen to
prepare talks about related subjects .

2. I'm trying to contact friends in Camagüey , Villa Clara and Holguín
so as to know what's going on there and encourage the organization of
similar meetings . I'd also like'em to travel to Havana City to
participate in the aforementioned monthly meetings , and vice-versa
i.e. motivate people living in Havana to travel to other provinces . I
look forward to suggestions aimed at adding provinces like Cienfuegos
, Sancti Spiritus and Granma , which are traditional regions for
development of Informatics (<- so I refuse to believe that nothing is
happening there ...) .

3. As an intermediate step towards the organization of the first PyCon
, I'm looking forward to explore (with other colleagues, who are
trying to make this happen) the possibility of incubating a sub-event
dedicated to Python within another conference with much broader scope
. ETA -> next year .

4. Looking forward to organizing a Python conference in Cuba I have
been contacting some people but still need to meet some others . It's
too early to disclose any further details beyond these , but I have
quite a few concrete ideas to figure out how to sort out some
obstacles and work towards establishing a concrete and realistic
schedule for organizing a Python conference in Cuba next year .

> On this side, I am happy to say that my cuban colleague Alejandro Zamora
> Fonseca is now visiting here in Córdoba (Argentina) and he has already
> given a talk in the local Python meetup[1], from which many good ideas
> emerged and which got many people interested in helping develop the Cuban
> Python community.

<ot>
I'm hoping there are any Cubans already subscribed to this list . Is
there any way we can meet any time this month (i.e. December 2015) ?
</ot>

> We will expand on this on the following days.

[...]

--
Regards,

Olemis - @olemislc