[Python-cuba] Working Group Report for June 2015

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 17:19:24 CEST 2015

> I should have thought it worthy of note that June saw a correspondence
> that culminated in the ejection of a member from the list. This is
> particularly important because the person in question had suggested that
> she would be taking up her complaint elsewhere. If that's going to happen I
> think the Board should be appraised of it.
>
> But what do other members think?
>
> regards
>  Steve

I was thinking since that happened right at the end of June we might defer
mention until the July report by when we'll have more hindsight if there
were further developments we needed to work through.  Deputy moderator
Mertz talked about "vetting" and that seems to be a relevant takeaway.

For example, Mertz and I had been talking Cuba since April 1 pretty
steadily off and on, so he was already clear about my interest, so I was
invited on at the inception.   However the "by invitation" aspect of our
charter is maybe what to stress i.e. yes, the archive is public but folks
who subscribe with a majorly disruptive agenda do face moderator push back
and even ejection.

This is not a unique circumstance in Python.org i.e. I speak from
experience as one moderators have sometimes pushed back against e.g.
psf-volunteers when I encouraged board candidates to use it for its
public-facing archive.

My question would be:  where might X (any X) ejected from group Y (any Y)
within Python.org find another listserv where rants / speeches / points of
view could be shared in greater volume and for public consumption.  I'd
suggested Diversity but that's a closed list, like psf-members.

I'd almost think a psf-rants or psf-dissent  or just pet-peeve at python.org
might make sense, with the psf- indicating that PSF has authorized the
existence of said channel, even if it does not necessarily endorse or
express itself through any of the postings.  diversity-sig maybe?  That one
already exists but has a forbidding front end and everyone is afraid to use
it for anything, so scratch that.

Kirby