[Python-cuba] [PSF-Board] Recognition of new working group

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat May 23 00:32:59 CEST 2015

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Ewa Jodlowska <ewa at python.org> wrote:

> Hi Python Cuba WG,
>
> I am checking on the status of the charter. Once it is complete, please
> send me the final file so I can share it with the board and add it to our
> wiki.  At that point the PSF board will vote on acknowledging the
> workgroup. At minimal, we need to know how you will vote on items, how you
> will communicate, and who is part of the group.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ewa

In my initial rough draft just to get the ball rolling, I assumed a
consensus model, with "memoranda of intent" to the Board, should we need
them to give a hand.

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-cuba/2015-May/000029.html

Like if we wanna do a Pycon at University of Havana next Fall, we could
write a memo requesting Board blessings with a concession of merchandise
for the scholarship / travel fund.  Something like that?

I wonder if being a WG implies voting is required.

In my community service role as Tech Clerk for NPYM.org, I participate in a
350+ year old NGO that does not use voting, but does make decisions, albeit
sometimes slowly.  NPYM.org provides board and corporation members to yet
another 501(c)(3) that likewise doesn't vote, yet will be 100 years old in
2017 (AFSC.org).

I'm too unversed in PSF Bylaws to know if there's room for consensus in
workgroups.

Plus we may indeed want to do some e-voting given Mertz is our moderator.

Not saying it's up to me, just raising the general question about whether
voting is mandatory.

Anyway, if the WG thing is too uphill, we could always fall back to SIG
status right?

I think a listing on the community page as Pycon-Cuba-SIG would be just as
apropos in terms of getting the job done.

Kirby