[Python-cuba] Joining Python Cuba

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 15:50:41 EST 2015

> .. [1] Considering my lack of information , all instances of "Python
> Cuba" in this message refer to the group of persons "shepherded" by
> the ASF Working Group (i.e. /me not a member atm) and subscribed to
> this list , rather than the set of all Python developers in Cuba (i.e.
> count /me in) .

Good to meet you sir!

You mean PSF (not ASF) Working Group right?  So much "alphabet soup". :-D
[1]

Just to recap some earlier discussion, Python Software Foundation is
especially keen to promote the brand Pycon, which is used for any "Python
circus" meeting various criteria, including having a published Code of
Conduct that's recognized as such.

However, some of our Brazilians remember "Pycon" not translating well and
we've used the term "PyEvent" to purposely avoid the issue of whether a
Pycon [tm] is what Cuba's Pythonistas actually want and need.  Anyone is
free to host PyEvents (e.g. install parties) without official notice to
"the authorities" (PSF included).

As shown by recent Board Meeting minutes, the PSF routinely disburses funds
to groups around the world eager to start up a user group, hold a
conference ("Pycon") etc., so naturally that might happen vis-a-vis some
specific Cuba-based event proposal (that the PSF would help out
financially).  Some of us in this Working Group may come forward with such
proposals, or sign on to proposals from others.

As for access to the Internet, I agree that's difficult in many places
around the world (though not in Seoul they tell me).

We've learned at OSCON from a delegation from South Asia that language is
also a barrier.

We have come to an agreement on this listserv, that English need not be the
only language used for posting.

  1. What's the role of governmental institutions with respect to this
group?
      IOW , when I was young (and, btw, many similar initiatives led by
community
      members were asphyxiated to the point of making them disappear) all
      organised groups like this had to be "monitored" or bound to a
Ministry.
      That's the case for ANEC , UNAICC , ACCS , UNEAC , and so on ...
      Is this group formally registered ? What Ministry does it belong to ?

PSF is a not-for-profit corporation registered in the State of Delaware.
It's behind the Python.org website and Python language trademark, as well
as Pycon [tm] as mentioned above.

As such it has no formal connection with any government or ministry, unless
you count incorporating according to some well established rules in the US
code base.

Some of us, myself included, have borrowed from Monty Python, with its
Ministry of Silly Walks [2], and our propensity towards self-governance, to
style as a "nation" in its own right.

This is currently a popular marketing strategy among beer makers, with
Rogue Nation (here in Oregon) and McMenamins (another brewer) issuing
rather realistic looking passports.[3]

Again, this is marketing, not legalese.  Python Nation has no seat in the
UN. :-D

Welcome again!

Kirby

[1]  http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2015/08/alphabet-soup.html