[Python-cuba] Joining Python Cuba

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 02:32:59 EST 2015

On 11/10/15, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> .. [1] Considering my lack of information , all instances of "Python
>> Cuba" in this message refer to the group of persons "shepherded" by
>> the ASF Working Group (i.e. /me not a member atm) and subscribed to
>> this list , rather than the set of all Python developers in Cuba (i.e.
>> count /me in) .
>>

> Good to meet you sir!
>
> You mean PSF (not ASF) Working Group right?  So much "alphabet soup". :-D
> [1]

Sorry . it's the habit ... :$

> Just to recap some earlier discussion, Python Software Foundation is
> especially keen to promote the brand Pycon, which is used for any "Python
> circus" meeting various criteria, including having a published Code of
> Conduct that's recognized as such.

Ok , I'm aware of that , like I just said I've been there so I had to
review the Code of Conduct and even read about cases of people been
banned due to e.g. consumption of illegal drugs during PyCon
conferences , just to understand the reasons behind the adoption of
such rules , and the implications .

[...]
> As shown by recent Board Meeting minutes, the PSF routinely disburses funds
> to groups around the world eager to start up a user group, hold a
> conference ("Pycon") etc., so naturally that might happen vis-a-vis some
> specific Cuba-based event proposal (that the PSF would help out
> financially).  Some of us in this Working Group may come forward with such
> proposals, or sign on to proposals from others.
>
> As for access to the Internet, I agree that's difficult in many places
> around the world (though not in Seoul they tell me).

I think you are misunderstanding my initial intentions . My point is
the following . In Cuba the price of Internet access is $2 USD / h .
That's a fact , and a situation that makes it hard to collaborate with
*the outside world* . I was wondering whether there were already
groups (outside UCI , which I know that exist but are not trivial to
reach out) organizing meetings somewhere and offering free (cheap)
Internet access to Python resources .

/me just wondering ...

I do not know what's been achieved so far .

> We've learned at OSCON from a delegation from South Asia that language is
> also a barrier.
>
> We have come to an agreement on this listserv, that English need not be the
> only language used for posting.

I took a time to read the archives and noticed a few messages written
in Spanish . That's cool . This happens quite often e.g. we've
tolerated and encouraged similar behavior in Brython ML as well ,
mainly to support the Portuguese, French and Spanish users . At the
beginning we had three MLs and that setup did not actually work at all
.

>   1. What's the role of governmental institutions with respect to this
> group?
[...]
> PSF is a not-for-profit corporation registered in the State of Delaware.
> It's behind the Python.org website and Python language trademark, as well
> as Pycon [tm] as mentioned above.
>
> As such it has no formal connection with any government or ministry, unless
> you count incorporating according to some well established rules in the US
> code base.

I get it now . Like I just said , I spent some time reading the
archives . I got a better idea of what's been going on .

[...]
> Again, this is marketing, not legalese.  Python Nation has no seat in the
> UN. :-D

:)

> Welcome again!

Thanks ! Firstly I realized that some PSF members have been involved
in this initiative . I'm glad to see persons I admire for all their
contributions to the Python community , been part of this effort . In
particular I'd like to thank Ewa Jodlowska , and the people involved
in the organization of PyCon 2014 for their dedication and everything
they did so that I could participate in PyCon 2014 event .

I look forward to know what can be done .

[...]

--
Regards,

Olemis - @olemislc