[Python-cuba] Joining Python Cuba

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 14:41:23 EST 2015

On 11/11/15, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Good to meet you sir!
>> >
>> > You mean PSF (not ASF) Working Group right?  So much "alphabet soup".
>> > :-D
>> > [1]
>> >

>> Sorry . it's the habit ... :$
>>
>> > Just to recap some earlier discussion, Python Software Foundation is
>> > especially keen to promote the brand Pycon, which is used for any
>> > "Python
>> > circus" meeting various criteria, including having a published Code of
>> > Conduct that's recognized as such.
>> >

>> Ok , I'm aware of that , like I just said I've been there so I had to
>> review the Code of Conduct and even read about cases of people been
>> banned due to e.g. consumption of illegal drugs during PyCon
>> conferences , just to understand the reasons behind the adoption of
>> such rules , and the implications .
>>

> I think when you get a very diverse group flying in from around the world,
> having a Code of Conduct provides a touchstone regarding how to be on one's
> best behavior i.e. what does that even mean.  OK to wear a burka?

[...]
> A lot of the impetus came from what was considered "sexual harassment"
> and/or  "gender bias" and was relating to talk content, slides in
> particular.  What are the lines we should not cross?

[...]

<OT>
I'll be more concise so as to clarify any possible misunderstanding .
In my previous message I was just trying to say that I read articles
like the ones listed below regarding actual applications of the CofC .
I was not criticising the CofC itself

http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/201303/community_conduct_conflict_and_communication.html
http://term.ie/blog/how-to-get-banned-from-pycon/
https://amandablumwords.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/3/
https://twitter.com/termie/status/453230554406588416
<comment> ... I recall there was an article even more explicit about
the author assuming his responsibility for smoking weed in Testing BoF
, but I just could not find it </comment>

You know, some friends of mine knew I'd go there , they wanted Cuban
cigars and I wanted to be in "safe zone" . Beyond this , both aspects
you mention are subject to interpretation, and our culture is quite
different from yours . Indeed many habits we have here and are
understood as normal might be interpreted as an infraction of the CofC
(I'm not listing examples to keep this conversation short) .

I also appreciate everything you do to make people feel comfortable
during the conference , e.g. what you did about Jewish celebrations
during PyCon 2015 considering what happened in PyCon 2014 .
</OT>

> Some people complained I was getting off topic, but if you live in the USA
> you know this continues to be a live issue and we gain nothing by not
> talking about it.

Indeed , the subject is interesting but I will not follow

[...]
> Regarding Cuba, it's a populous island with many intelligent well-educated
> people [...] and there's probably sufficient critical mass to
> have more than one User Group eventually (are there some already?).

Yes , I agree . At UCI there is one . A well-known community outside
UCI ... well I've never heard of it , that's exactly what I'm asking
since the beginning .

> I get from your postings that you are concerned about some top-down
> monopolistic approach wherein Pythonistas in Cuba are somehow wrangled into
> a single herd or group.  I would not see that as a prerequisite for hosting
> a Pycon i.e. "getting everyone on the same page first" does not seem to be
> to be a necessary first step.  All it takes is for a few people to get
> organized.

Briefly , this is my point . We tried to do this (organising the free
software community) once upon a time and we were smashed like pumpkins
. Things have changed , so it was possible for others to create e.g. a
user group at UCI . It is not an university like , say , Universidad
de La Habana , ISPJAE , Universidad de Las Villas , ... For instance ,
access is restricted , it has a special status , important decisions
are centralised at highest levels , and so on ... Hence , considering
what I read in the archives I am trying to figure out :

  1. What's the scope of the initiative mentioned by Carlos Osiel  [1]_ ?
      ... or maybe the one suggested by Pedro Urra [2]_ ? Are they the same ?
      * if the group's been created in UCI and uses its
        resources then it is strongly bound to UCI ; which is ok , but not
        the kind of community I'd like to join .
  2. Are there any Python user groups outside UCI that I can contact ?
     Shall we create it (them) ?
  3. Is there any roadmap to make PyCon Cuba idea succeed ?
  4. If there are official organisers this side [1]_ ,
     committed to making this work then what has been done up to this time ?
  5. Who can I contact this side ?

These are all simple questions , I guess , but if there is a chance
for simplification please let me know and I'll reformulate them once
again .

I'm hoping to find a space for contributing to the *PyCon Cuba* idea ,
and if it does not exist then contribute to its creation ... but
considering a realistic roadmap and schedule , not like wasted time in
the past .

[...]

.. [1] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-cuba/2015-May/000055.html

.. [2] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-cuba/2015-May/000044.html