[Python-cuba] Joining Python Cuba

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 15:52:20 EST 2015

> <OT>
> I'll be more concise so as to clarify any possible misunderstanding .
> In my previous message I was just trying to say that I read articles
> like the ones listed below regarding actual applications of the CofC .
> I was not criticising the CofC itself
>

> http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/201303/community_conduct_conflict_and_communication.html
> http://term.ie/blog/how-to-get-banned-from-pycon/
> https://amandablumwords.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/3/
> https://twitter.com/termie/status/453230554406588416
> <comment> ... I recall there was an article even more explicit about
> the author assuming his responsibility for smoking weed in Testing BoF
> , but I just could not find it </comment>
>
> You know, some friends of mine knew I'd go there , they wanted Cuban
> cigars and I wanted to be in "safe zone" . Beyond this , both aspects
> you mention are subject to interpretation, and our culture is quite
> different from yours . Indeed many habits we have here and are
> understood as normal might be interpreted as an infraction of the CofC
> (I'm not listing examples to keep this conversation short) .
>
> I also appreciate everything you do to make people feel comfortable
> during the conference , e.g. what you did about Jewish celebrations
> during PyCon 2015 considering what happened in PyCon 2014 .
> </OT>

I appreciate your willingness to continue the conversation as I think the
CofC and practices evolving around it is a substantive issue that relates
directly to PSF / Pycon -- and is open to interpretation as you say.

As Ned Batchelder's put it:  "Getting 2500 people together without friction
is impossible. Friction and offense will happen, the question is, what do
we do about it?"

My approach for the sake of argument (or let's say debate) on Diversity was
to take a different approach and ask about alternative "Pycons" (PyEvents)
that were maybe not so PG family-friendly (Disneyland level) and maybe more
R (using movie-ratings jargon).  Could we embrace these events in good
conscience?  What are our parameters and criteria?

It's up to the hosting group to propose the CofC, not PSF's job to supply
it, and some science fiction gamer conferences feature a lot of adult
themes and demented cartoons.  The dress code encourages a more Halloween
flavor. Some booths might sell comic books.  There's a CofC, but it
contains nothing about "appropriate attire" as it's assumed some people
will come as squid-monsters.

That doesn't sound like a Pycon at all, in 2015, or even a PyOhio.  But
what if they call it "PyFest" and say it's to celebrate geek culture and
Python in particular, and the organizers simply want PSF to help promote it
and perhaps suggest sponsors.  They invite PSF to have a booth, even offer
to pay for it, a way of saying "thank you".

Victoria's Secret and Condé Nast also have booths, turns out both use
Python in-house.
https://aws.amazon.com/solutions/case-studies/conde-nast/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reddit (Conde-Nast still a big investor)
http://www.businessinsider.com/lyndsey-scott-model-and-coder-2014-1  ("I'm
a huge fan of Python")

Is PSF going to turn down any and every opportunity that does not come
shrink-wrapped in the conventional Pycon mold?  Is it that PSF would reject
overtures from specific sponsors or brands, or specific countries?  Is
Pycon / Palestine an option?  We've already seen a Pycon / Iran.

We have an e-voting process in place.  I think PSF is in a position to pick
and choose which events it gets behind and sponsors, but what will it pick,
and whom will it choose?  These are questions the Board and voting members
will continue to face, going forward.

> I'm hoping to find a space for contributing to the *PyCon Cuba* idea ,
> and if it does not exist then contribute to its creation ... but
> considering a realistic roadmap and schedule , not like wasted time in
> the past .

Judging from the level of interest piqued by the April Fool's joke article,
a LOT of people are curious about visiting to Cuba. There's an eagerness,
especially on the part of those who've lived through Prohibition (on travel
to Cuba).

My guess is it would be all too easy for some non-Cuban entrepreneur to
locate some appropriate venue with nearby hotels and "make it happen" with
all too little local support.  But that's just an extreme.

http://www.cubatechtravel.com/destination/extrahotel/2145/havana-convention-center

I think back to a Europython in Vilnius Lithuania.  I hung out with the
organizers and saw up close what that was like.  The Lithuanians did a lot
of legwork getting extra WiFi, beyond what the hotel could provide.

However non-Lithuanian Europython organizers did not just sit back.  They
flew to the venue early plus had scoped it out earlier and were in on the
planning.

If Cuban Pythonistas (say User Group X) wants to host an international
PyCon with people coming in from all over, then I think the model should be
one of drumming up interest among potential non-Cuban sponsors who would
enjoy the boost to their reputations from helping to stage such a thing.

Do you imagine it would be OK to have private companies advertising their
role e.g. Unilever (just to pick a company already active in Cuba -- not a
US firm).  Who might these companies be?  What nonprofits would we like to
see represented?  EFF?

Kirby

PS:  I don't think there's any formal process for joining the Cuba working
group beyond joining the listserv, as we have identified this Python.org
listserv itself as our principal tool for collaboration.