[Python-Dev] ActiveState & fork & Perl

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Mon Jun 7 19:36:05 CEST 1999

    >> I wonder if it's feasible or useful to promote threading
    >> support in Python?  Thoughts would include building threads in
    >> by default if possible on the platform,

    DA> That seems a good idea to me.  It's a relatively safe thing to
    DA> enable by default, no?

Don't know how hard it would be to write the appropriate configure
tests, but then again, if it was easy I'd'a figured Guido would have
done it already.

A simple thing would be to change the default sense of "Do we build in
thread support?".  Make this true by default, and add a
--without-threads configure flag people can use to turn them off.

-Barry