[Python-Dev] ActiveState & fork & Perl

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Tue Jun 8 00:37:38 CEST 1999

    BAW> A simple thing would be to change the default sense of "Do we build
    BAW> in thread support?".  Make this true by default, and add a
    BAW> --without-threads configure flag people can use to turn them off.

True enough, but as Guido pointed out, enabling threads by default would
immediately make the Mac a second-class citizen.  Test cases and demos would
eventually find their way into the distribution that Mac users could not
run, etc., etc.  It may not account for a huge fraction of the Python
development seats, but it seems a shame to leave it out in the cold.  Has
there been an assessment of how hard it would be to add thread support to
the Mac?  On a scale of 1 to 10 (1: we know how, but it's not implemented
because nobody's needed it so far, 10: drilling for oil on the sun would be
easier), how hard would it be?  I assume Jack Jansen is on this list.  Jack,
any thoughts? Alpha code? Pre-alpha code?

Skip Montanaro	| Mojam: "Uniting the World of Music" http://www.mojam.com/
skip at mojam.com  | Musi-Cal: http://www.musi-cal.com/
518-372-5583