[Python-Dev] RE: [Python-Dev] RE: [Python-Dev] RE: [Python-Dev] String methods... finally

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Tue Jun 15 08:17:02 CEST 1999

[Mark Hammond]
> But now the IDLE "CallTips" extenion seems lame.
>
> Typing
>
> doesnt yield the help, where:
>
> does :-)

No Windows Guy will be stymied by how to hack that!  Hint:  string literals
always end with one of two characters <wink>.

> Very cute, I must say.  The biggest temptation is going to be, as I
> mentioned, avoiding the use of this stuff for "general" code.  Im still
> unconvinced the "sep.join" concept is natural, but string methods in
> general sure as hell are.

sep.join bothered me until I gave the separator a name (a la the
"space.join, tab.join", etc examples earlier).  Then it looked *achingly*
natural!  Using a one-character literal instead still rubs me the wrong way,
although for some reason e.g.

    ", ".join(seq)

no longer does.  I can't account for any of it, but I know what I like
<wink>.

> Guido almost hinted that post 1.5.2 interim release(s?) would be
> acceptable, so long as he didnt have to do it!  Im tempted to volunteer to
> agree to do something for Windows, and if no other platform biggots
> volunteer,  I wont mind in the least :-)  I realize it still
> needs settling down, but this is too good to keep to "ourselves" (being
> CVS enabled people) for too long ;-)

Yes, I really like the new string methods too!  And I want to rewrite all of
IDLE to use them ASAP <wink>.

damn-the-users-let's-go-nuts-ly y'rs  - tim