[Python-Dev] Miscellaneous 2.0 installation issues

Wed, 27 Dec 2000 17:39:35 -0500

On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 02:37:50PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>1. The curses module is commented out in the default Modules/Setup
>file.  This is not good, as it may lead careless distribution builders

It always has been commented out.  Good distributions ship with most
of the available modules enabled; I can't say if RH7.0 counts as a
good distribution or not (still on 6.2).

>3. The configure machinery could be made to deduce more about the contents
>of Modules/Setup than it does now.  In particular, it's silly that the person

This is the point of PEP 229 and patch #102588, which uses a setup.py
script to build extension modules.  (I need to upload an updated
version of the patch which actually includes setup.py -- thought I did
that, but apparently not...)  The patch is still extremely green,
though, but I think it's the best course; witness the tissue of
hackery required to get the bsddb module automatically detected and
built.

--amk