[Python-Dev] Expat -- it keeps going, and going, and going ...

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 09 Feb 2000 09:22:08 -0800

Moshe Zadka wrote:

> Hey Paul! Since you probably won't want my hastily written XML-subset
> parser <3000 wink>, I guess I'll have to vote for expat. My seriosu
> issue is the license, but you seem optimistic about that...

Yes, but I want Python-world buy-in before I talk to James.

> One thing you didn't mention (or maybe I missed it) is whether expeat
> validates. Shouldn't we have a validator too?

Expat does not validate because it is totally focused on performance. We
could eventually build a validating level on top of expat -- especially
once XML schemas "firm up".

"The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made possible the modern world."
        - from "Advent of the Algorithm" David Berlinski
	http://www.opengroup.com/mabooks/015/0151003386.shtml