[Python-Dev] RFD: how to build strings from lots of slices?

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 17:29:56 +0100

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
> > > 1. introduce a PySliceListObject, which behaves like a
> > > simple sequence of strings, but stores them as slices.
> >
> > It occurred to me when i read this that *all* slices
> > could be references within the original string, since
> > strings are immutable.  That is,
> >
> >     s[x:y]

[b strings with NULL]
> (b) is a bit harder to ignore, though.

I think the explicit string slice object is a good thing,
but changing [:] behavior is not. With special stuff
made explicit, it is easy to write optimized code, while
the average user is not affected.

cheers - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>