[Python-Dev] Re: Python-checkins digest, Vol 1 #370 - 8 msgs

David Ascher da@ski.org
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 11:57:17 -0800

> > On the other hand, I do think that it might be nice to have that
sort of
> > hook in the rich array world...
>
> Really?  The min/max functions already do all their looping in C.

Right, but it might make sense to define min() on an array to mean
something different than what min-the-builtin could guess from whatever
__lt__ returns -- In fact, IIRC, min() on an array which implemented
rich comparisons would raise an exception.  I don't want to specify the
semantics now (arrays are weird sequences), I just appreciate the hook.
The semantics would probably depend on the flavor of array one wanted to
use.

> [I guess you get to worry about the older brother while your wife
> takes care of the newborn? :-)]

Got it it one.

--david