Version numbering (was Re: [Python-Dev] Python 1.6 timing)

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:21:33 -0500

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Andrew let me repost this mail of his to this list.  It's worth a
> discussion here (if not in a larger forum).  My responses are at the
> bottom.

(snip)

> There are several other things I can think of now that were planned
> for 1.6: revamped import, rich comparisons, revised coercions,
> parallel for loop (for i in L; j in M: ...), extended slicing for all
> sequences.  I've also been thinking about making classes be types (not
> as huge a change as you think, if you don't allow subclassing built-in
> types), and adding a built-in array type suitable for use by NumPy.
> I've also received a conservative GC patch that seems to be fairly
> easy to apply and has some of Tim Peters' blessing.
>
> For 1.5.5 (what happened to 1.5.3 and 1.5.4?), we can have a more
> conservative agenda, as suggested by Andrew: Unicode and distutils are
> probably the most important things to integrate.  (The import
> utilities are not ready for prime time in my opinion; there are too
> many issues.)

(snip)

What is the basis of the Python numbering scheme?

I thought that there was a notion that:

  - The first part changed with huge, possibly
    backward incompatible, changes,

  - The second part was for new functionality

  - The third part was for bug fixes.

I thought I saw this scheme referenced somewhere and
possibly even attributed to Guido. (?) I think that
this is a better scheme that what I've seen with
the 1.5 releases.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.