[Python-Dev] Encodings

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Fri, 7 Jul 2000 23:28:21 +0200

guido wrote:
> > The meaning of mixing both kinds of objects is very easy to explain,
> > and also allows for efficient implementation - which you won't get if
> > you have to invoke a character conversion just to get the hash value
> > of a unicode value (!)
>
> I agree with this point.  It can be implemented easily by deleting the
> locale specific guessing from site.py.

as an aside, Jack reported that:

    if u" " in tuple(string.whitespace):

bombs on the macintosh (this is from SRE).  the reason?  the default
encoding is set to "ascii", but C's isspace predicate thinks that some
characters in the 128-255 range are whitespace characters.

tricky.

</F>

PS.  I'll post the Windows get_locale code tomorrow.  hopefully, Jack
can whip up something similar for the Mac.