[Python-Dev] Venting some steam on current developments

Daniel Berlin+list.python-dev dberlin@redhat.com
09 Jul 2000 18:45:08 -0400

"Tim Peters" <tim_one@email.msn.com> writes:

> Random question:  why isn't the Mac code checked into the main CVS tree?  I
> don't know anything about Mac development, and because the code for it is
> invisible to me too, have no idea how any change may affect your life (e.g.,
> if Guido hadn't remembered its Mac connection, I would have deleted the
> USE_STACKCHECK stuff -- for which there is no conceivable use via staring at
> every file in the CVS true -- not even a doc like "stuff you shouldn't screw
> with because it's important on the Mac" <wink>).

Also, Jack, you said you pity those on lesser known platforms like BeOS.
Well, on BeOS, most stuff is posix compliant enough that things like Unicode will work (besides that BeOS has native support for unicode in it's own API's) the way they are written. The only stuff we worry about is dynamic loading of shared libs, and threading.
WinCE is probably going to run into the same issues Windows does, more or less.
I'm gonna say that Macs are mainly the oddball here, and that
mou are running into issues mainly because nobody has had to deal with them, cause it doesn't take that much work to make it work on our favorite platform.

> BTW, I heartily agree that the lack of official IANA names for Mac encodings
> is not my fault.

I'll take the blame for this one.
I've got broad shoulders.