[Python-Dev] ascii default encoding

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:34:00 +0200

Thomas Wouters wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 10:14:54PM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> > Jack Jansen wrote:
>
> > > On the Macintosh string.whitespace is '\011\012\013\014\015 \312', but
> > > the \312 causes problems because it can't be converted from/to unicode
> > > as long as the default encoding is ascii...
>
> > string.py is depreciated -- please use string methods instead.
>
> You mean 'deprecated'.

Hmm, my Webster says "to lessen in value" -- that's what I had
in mind...

> And please wait with deprecating string.py until all
> functionality is indeed available through string methods. And please don't
> do that :) I don't think " ".letters really makes sense...

"Depreciated" means that you should not use it in new code --
perhaps someday string.py will disappear, even though I doubt
that.

> Besides, 'string.join' is a good compromise for the people who
> don't like " ".join()

Tim Peters will have to take the blame for this one ;-) I don't
find delimiter.join(sequence) awkward or funny -- using methods
for this has added value: it defines an interface which other
objects could support as well and thus makes your code polymorph.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg