[Python-Dev] release forms? (was: [Patches] New sys method to return total reference count in debug builds.)

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 10:11:46 -0400

On 04 June 2000, Greg Stein said:
> p.s. IMO, I'd like to see Guido own the Copyright for all current and
> future Python development

Second that.  Given that I work for CNRI and was forced (at gunpoint, as
I recall) to sign an incredibly draconian IP agreement -- along the
lines of "everything you have ever created, or will ever consider
creating, in any medium whatsoever, no matter where you did it or who
pays for it, is the property of CNRI for all time" -- I'd have a hard
time getting away with slapping "Copyright (c) 1999-2000 Gregory
P. Ward" all over the Distutils code.  And given that fair chunks of
that code have been contributed by other people, I couldn't even
ethically do that.

So, given that I probably can't claim ownership in the code, and that
CNRI has absolutely no moral right to it (although probably some legal
right), I'd prefer to sign it away to Guido.  Or optionally, to some
legal fiction that represents the Python community; preferably *not* the
Python Consortium, as long as CNRI is in any way connected.

Death to the lawyers!

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@mems-exchange.org
MEMS Exchange / CNRI                           voice: +1-703-262-5376