[Python-Dev] breaking list.append()

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 00:43:02 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> > Note that Guido posted a note to c.l.py on Monday. I believe that meets
> > your notification criteria.
>
> ahem.  do you seriously believe that everyone in the
> Python universe reads comp.lang.python?
>
> afaik, most Python programmers don't.

Now you're simply taking my comments out of context. Not a proper thing to
do. Ken said that he wanted notification along certain guidelines. I said
that I believed Guido's post did just that. Period.

Personally, I think it is fine. I also think that a CHANGES file that
arrives with 1.6 that points out the incompatibility is also fine.

> sigh.  running checkappend over a 50k LOC application, I
> just realized that it doesn't catch a very common append
> pydiom.

And which is that? Care to help out? Maybe just a little bit? Or do you
just want to talk about how bad this change is? :-(

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/