[Python-Dev] Unicode patches checked in

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:00:14 +0100

Christian Tismer wrote:

> "M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:
>
> > Note that unicodedata is only needed by programs which do
> > a lot of Unicode manipulations and in the future probably
> > by some codecs too.
>
> Would it be possible to make the Unicode support configurable?

This is currently not planned as the Unicode integration
touches many different parts of the interpreter to
enhance string/Unicode integration... sorry.

Also, I'm not sure whether adding #ifdefs throuhgout
the code would increase its elegance ;-)

> My problem is that patches in the CVS are of different kinds.
> Some are error corrections and enhancements which I would
> definately like to use.
> Others are brand new features like the Unicode support.
> Absolutely great stuff! But this will most probably change
> a number of times again, and I think it is a bad idea when
> I include it into my Stackless distribution.

Why not ? All you have to do is rebuild the distribution
every time you push a new version -- just like I did
for the Unicode version before the CVS checkin was done.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg