[Python-Dev] Unicode patches checked in

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:20:06 +0100

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

> Christian Tismer wrote:
> > Absolutely great stuff! But this will most probably change
> > a number of times again, and I think it is a bad idea when
> > I include it into my Stackless distribution.
>
> Why not ? All you have to do is rebuild the distribution
> every time you push a new version -- just like I did
> for the Unicode version before the CVS checkin was done.

But how can I then publish my source code, when I always
pull Unicode into it. I don't like to be exposed to
side effects like 700kb code bloat, just by chance, since it
is in the dist right now (and will vanish again).

I don't say there must be #ifdefs all and everywhere, but
can I build without *using* Unicode? I don't want to
introduce something new to my users what they didn't ask for.
And I don't want to take care about their installations.
Finally I will for sure not replace a 500k DLL by a 1.2M
monster, so this is definately not what I want at the moment.

How do I build a dist that doesn't need to change a lot of
stuff in the user's installation?
Note that Stackless Python is a drop-in replacement,
not a Python distribution. Or should it be?

ciao - chris   (who really wants to get SLP 1.1 out)

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>