[Python-Dev] Great Renaming? What is the goal?

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 06:07:20 -0500

You mean when Greg said:
>Assuming that you use an archive like those found in my "small" distro or
> Gordon's distro, then this is no problem. The archive simply recognizes
> and maps "text.encoding.macbinary" to its own module.

I don't know what this has to do with it. When we get around
to the 'macbinary' part, we have already established that
'text.encoding' is the parent which should supply 'macbinary'.

>  In
> particular, even with Python's current module system, there is no need to
> scrub installations: Python core modules go (under UNIX) in
> /usr/local/lib/python1.5, and 3rd party modules go in
> /usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages.

And if there's a /usr/local/lib/python1.5/text/encoding, there's
no way that /usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-
packages/text/encoding will get searched.

I believe you could hack up an importer that did allow this, and
I think you'd be 100% certifiable if you did. Just look at the
surprise factor.

Hacking stuff into another package is just as evil as math.pi =
42.

> Anyway, I already expressed my preference of the Perl way, over the Java
> way. For one thing, I don't want to have to register a domain just so I
> could distribute Python code <wink>

I haven't the foggiest what the "Perl way" is; I wouldn't be
surprised if it relied on un-Pythonic sociological factors. I
already said the Java mechanics are silly; uniqueness is what
matters. When Python packages start selling in the four and
five figure range <snort>, then a registry mechanism will likely
be necessary.

- Gordon