[Python-Dev] Attempt script name with '.py' appended instead of failing?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 16 May 2000 06:03:07 -0400

> For about the 1,000,000th time in my life (no exaggeration :-), I just
> typed "python.exe foo" - I forgot the .py.
>
> It would seem a simple and useful change to append a ".py" extension and
> try-again, instead of dieing the first time around - ie, all we would be
> changing is that we continue to run where we previously failed.
>
> Is there a good reason why we dont do this?

Just inertia, plus it's "not the Unix way".  I agree it's a good idea.
(I also found in user testsing that IDLE definitely has to supply the
".py" when saving a module if the user didn't.)