[Python-Dev] String encoding

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Wed, 24 May 2000 13:15:24 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> > one might of course the system encoding if the user actually calls setlocale,
>
> I think that was supposed to be:
>
>   one might of course SET the system encoding ONLY if the user actually calls setlocale,
>
> or something...

Bleh. Global switches are bogus. Since you can't depend on the setting,
and you can't change it (for fear of busting something else), then you
have to be explicit about your encoding all the time. Since you're never
going to rely on a global encoding, then why keep it?

This global encoding (per thread or not) just reminds me of the single
hook for import, all over again.

Cheers,
-g

--