[Python-Dev] Installing python in /usr/bin

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 09:44:40 -0400 (EDT)

    TW> The only reason is the hysterical one: it's always been that
    TW> way.  Traditionally, /usr/local/bin was the place for
    TW> user-installed binaries.

Yes exactly.

And in fact on my RH6.1 system, I have Python in both /usr/bin and
/usr/local/bin.  RedHat sticks its rpms in /usr/bin, and right now,
1.5.2 resides there.  My dev copy gets installed from source into
/usr/local/bin, and that's the current CVS snapshot.  This is as it
should be and all is right in the world.

The rule is -- and ought to be -- that the default install location in
a build-from-source distro is /usr/local.  rpms or other package
installs can install where ever is appropriate for that platform
(e.g. if someone were to build a Solaris pkg distro, it probably ought
to install to /opt by default).

if-it-ain't-broke...-ly y'rs,
-Barry