[Python-Dev] Proposal -- makefile patches and scripts to generate python RPMs

Eric S. Raymond esr@snark.thyrsus.com
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:17:39 -0400

In the course of maintaining fetchmail, I've developed effective
techniques for integrating RPM and lsm generation into the release machinery
of a package.  I'm willing to do this for Python; it will involve
adding a makefile production and a couple of scripts to the
distribution.

The benefit would be that we could generate correct RPMs automatically
and ship them with each release.  I think RPM is a sufficiently
important distribution format to justify this effort.  Comments?

The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably
by the Prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for
the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot
be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime
in this country is closely connected with this.
	-- Albert Einstein, "My First Impression of the U.S.A.", 1921