[Python-Dev] htmllib.HTMLescape()

05 Oct 2000 10:36:33 +0200

* Martin von Loewis

| Doesn't xml.sax.saxutils.escape do what you want (together with
| htmlentitydefs)? I was going to say that this is quite a small
| change to warrant a PEP - but there are two obvious approaches
| (working from scratch, or working on top of xml.sax.saxutils.escape
| - perhaps modifying and relocating that function), so *some* design
| probably needs to be recorded in a PEP.

It would probably help, but now that Python has Unicode support there
should be some way to convert string data to a legacy encoding and
represent all characters not available in that encoding using numeric
character references.  This would be very useful for both XML and
HTML.  The difficulty, I assume, lies in figuring out which encodings
support what characters.

--Lars M.