[Python-Dev] What to choose to replace Tkinter?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@wooz.org
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:26:13 -0400 (EDT)

    GW> 2. (Lack of) native look and feel.  This is a complete
    GW> show-stopper for many of the outfits I've dealt with (and not
    GW> just with Python).

On the other hand, it's incredibly easy to whip together a GUI in Tk
for simple applications.  Yes, Tk gets painful as applications grow,
but I'd hate to abandon such a simple, well-known toolkit for a
complicated, hard-to-learn but powerful native look-and-feel one.  You
don't /always/ care about strict native LAF.

Or to restate: I'd hate to have to make that choice.  If we can't
satisfy both requirements (mandatory-native-LAF and rapid prototyping
friendliness), we may need to continue to support multiple toolkits.

the-delicious-aroma-of-the-first-GUI-bakeoff-still-in-the-air-ly y'rs,
-Barry