[Python-Dev] linuxaudiodev test does nothing

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 05:11:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Charles G Waldman wrote:
>  >     3. Play some raw audio data, given a string of bytes and a
>  >        sampling rate.
>
> This would never be possible unless you also specifed the format and
> encoding of the raw data - are they 8bit, 16-bit, signed, unsigned,
> bigendian, littlendian, linear, logarithmic ("mu_law"), etc?

You're right, you do have to specify such things.  But when you
do, i'm quite confident that this should be possible, at least
for a variety of common cases.  Certainly raw audio data should
be playable in at least *some* fashion, and we also have a bunch
of very nice functions in the audioop module that can do automatic
conversions if we want to get fancy.

> Trying to do anything with sound in a
> platform-independent manner is near-impossible.  Even the same
> "platform" (e.g. RedHat 6.2 on Intel) will behave differently
> depending on what soundcard is installed.

Are you talking about OSS vs. ALSA?  Didn't they at least try to
keep some of the basic parts of the interface the same?

-- ?!ng