[Python-Dev] Re: DEBUG_SAVEALL feature for gc not in 2.0b1?

Neil Schemenauer nascheme@enme.ucalgary.ca
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 09:56:27 -0600

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 10:03:30AM -0500, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> Neil sent me a patch a week or two ago that implemented a DEBUG_SAVEALL flag
> for the gc module.

I didn't submit the patch to SF yet because I am thinking of redesigning
the gc module API.  I really don't like the current bitmask interface
for setting options.  The redesign could wait for 2.1 but it would be
nice to not have to change a published API.

Does anyone have any ideas on a good interface for setting various GC
options?  There may be many options and they may change with the
evolution of the collector.  My current idea is to use something like:

    gc.get_option(<name>)

    gc.set_option(<name>, <value>, ...)

with the module defining constants for options.  For example:

    gc.set_option(gc.DEBUG_LEAK, 1)

would enable leak debugging.  Does this look okay?  Should I try to get
it done for 2.0?

  Neil