[Python-Dev] Re: DEBUG_SAVEALL feature for gc not in 2.0b1?

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 23:08:14 +0200 (CEST)

Neil Schemenauer wrote:

> I didn't submit the patch to SF yet because I am thinking of redesigning
> the gc module API.  I really don't like the current bitmask interface
> for setting options.

Why? There's nothing wrong with it.

> Does anyone have any ideas on a good interface for setting various GC
> options?  There may be many options and they may change with the
> evolution of the collector.  My current idea is to use something like:
>
>     gc.get_option(<name>)
>
>     gc.set_option(<name>, <value>, ...)
>
> with the module defining constants for options.  For example:
>
>     gc.set_option(gc.DEBUG_LEAK, 1)
>
> would enable leak debugging.  Does this look okay?  Should I try to get
> it done for 2.0?

This is too much. Don't worry, it's perfect as is.
Also, I support the idea of exporting the collected garbage for
debugging -- haven't looked at the patch though. Is it possible
to collect it subsequently?

--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr