[Python-Dev] Prerelease Python fun on Windows!

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 20:00:49 +0200

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 12:05:21PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > Works, too. I had a funny experience, though. I tried to quit the
> > interpreter, which I'd started from a DOS box, using ^Z. And it didn't exit.

> Really?  It didn't exit?  What had you done before?  I do this all the
> time without problems.

I remember doing 'dir()' and that's it... probably hit a few cursorkeys out
of habit. I was discussing something with a ^@#$*(*#%* suit (the
not-very-intelligent type) and our CEO (who was very interested in the
strange windows, because he thought I was doing something with ADSL :) at the
same time, so I don't remember exactly what I did. I might have hit ^D
before ^Z, though I do remember actively thinking 'must use ^Z' while
starting python, so I don't think so.

When I did roughly the same things after a reboot, all seemed fine. And
yes, I did reboot after installing, before trying things the first time.

> > And then I started IDLE, and IDLE started up, the menus worked, I could open
> > a new window, but I couldn't type anything. And then I had a bluescreen. But
> > after the reboot, everything worked fine, even doing the exact same things.
> >
> > Could just be windows crashing on me, it does that often enough, even on
> > freshly installed machines. Something about bad karma or something ;)

> Well, Fredrik Lundh also had some blue screens which he'd reduced to a
> DECREF of NULL in _tkinter.  Buyt not fixed, so this may still be
> lurking.

The bluescreen came after my entire explorer froze up, so I'm not sure if it
has to do with python crashing. I found it particularly weird that my
'python' interpreter wouldn't exit, and the IDLE windows were working (ie,
Tk working) but not accepting input -- they shouldn't interfere with each
other, should they ?

My laptop is reasonably stable, though somethines has some strange glitches
when viewing avi/mpeg's, in particular DVD uhm, 'backups'. But I'm used to
Windows crashing whenever I touch it, so all in all, I think this:

> On the other hand your laptop might have been screwy already by that
> time...

Since all was fine after a reboot, even doing roughly the same things. I'll
see if I can hit it again sometime this weekend. (A full weekend of Python
and Packing ! No work ! Yes!) And I'll do my girl a favor and install
PySol, so she can give it a good testing :-)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>