[Python-Dev] Challenge about print >> None

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:16:12 -0700

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> Paul wrote:
> > In the face of all of this confusion the safest thing would be to make
> > print >> None illegal and then figure it out for Python 2.1.
>
> Really?  So what's the next feature we'll have to take out after
> some other python-dev member threatens to leave if he cannot
> successfully force his ideas onto Guido and everyone else?

There have been several participants, all long-time Python users, who
have said that this None thing is weird. Greg Ward, who even likes
*Perl* said it is weird.

By my estimation there are more voices against then for and those that
are for are typically lukewarm ("I hated it at first but don't hate it
as much anymore"). Therefore I don't see any point in acting as if this
is single man's crusade.

Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/perlis-alan/quotes.html