[Python-Dev] problems importing _tkinter on Linux build

Trent Mick trentm@ActiveState.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 09:42:51 -0700

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 08:59:33AM +0200, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> > I presumed that /usr/local/lib would be on the default search path
> > for shared libraries. Bad assumption I guess.
>
> On Linux, having /usr/local/lib in the search path is quite
> common. The default search path is defined in /etc/ld.so.conf. What
> distribution are you using? Perhaps somebody forgot to run
> /sbin/ldconfig after installing the tcl library? Does tclsh find it?

Using RedHat 6.2

[trentm@molotok ~]$ cat /etc/ld.so.conf
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib

So no /usr/local/lib there. Barry's suggestion worked for me, though I think
I agree that /usr/local/lib is a reason include path.

Thanks,
Trent

--
Trent Mick