[Python-Dev] Re: WHOA!!! Screw up on my part: how do I undo this (Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: black - Imported sources)

Trent Mick trentm@ActiveState.com
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 08:00:17 -0700

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 02:06:33AM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     TM> I was playing with a different SourceForge project and I
>     TM> screwed up my CVSROOT (used Python's instead). Sorry SOrry!
>
>     TM> How do I undo this cleanly? I could 'cvs remove' the
>     TM> README.txt file but that would still leave the top-level
>     TM> 'black/' turd right? Do the SourceForge admin guys have to
>     TM> manually kill the 'black' directory in the repository?
>
> One a directory's been added, it's nearly impossible to cleanly delete
> it from CVS.  If it's infected people's working directories, you're
> really screwed, because even if the SF admins remove it from the
> repository, it'll be a pain to clean up on the client side.

Hopefully no client machines were infected. People would have to 'cvs co
black' with the Python CVSROOT. I presume people are only doing either 'cvs
co python'or 'cvs co distutils'. ...or is there some sort of 'cvs co *' type
invocation that people could and were using?

> Probably best thing to do is make sure you "cvs rm" everything in the
> directory and then just let "cvs up -P" remove the empty directory.
> Everybody /is/ using -P (and -d) right? :)

I didn't know about -P, but I will use it now. For reference for others:

       -P     Prune  (remove)  directories that are empty after being
              updated, on checkout, or update.  Normally, an empty directory
              (one that is void  of revision-con­ trolled  files) is left
              alone.  Specifying -P will cause these directories to be
              silently removed from your checked-out sources.  This does not
              remove  the directory  from  the  repository, only from your
              checked out copy.  Note that this option is implied by the -r
              or -D options of checkout and export.

Trent

--
Trent Mick