[Python-Dev] Re: cgitb.py for Python 2.2

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 22:06:27 -0400

Ka-Ping Yee <ping@lfw.org>:
> I think this is where our perceptions differ.  I think of CGI as
> the application that totally "made" Perl, and as the quickest, easiest
> way that many beginners get early payoff from a scripting language.
> My impression is that it has been a big "hook" for bringing people to
> Perl and Python -- it's the shortest path to building and deploying
> something useful to a huge and unlimited audience.

I strongly agree with Ping on this.  My experience is that CGI is an
extremely important application category for Python, and one worth
significant effort to serve.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of
authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was
made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There
are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to
govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
	-- Daniel Webster