[Python-Dev] PEPS, version control, release intervals

Tue, 6 Feb 2001 22:50:39 +0100

> A more critical issue might be why people haven't adopted 2.0 yet;
> there seems little reason is there to continue using 1.5.2, yet I
> still see questions on the XML-SIG, for example, from people who
> haven't upgraded.  Is it that Zope doesn't support it?  Or that Red
> Hat and Debian don't include it?

Availability of Linux binaries is certainly an issue. On xml-sig, one
Linux distributor (I forgot whether SuSE or Redhat) mentioned that
they won't include 2.0 in their current major release series (7.x for
both).

Furthermore, the available 2.0 binaries won't work for either Redhat
7.0 nor SuSE 7.0; I think collecting binaries as we did for earlier
releases is an important activity that was forgotten during 2.0.

In addition, many packages are still not available for 2.0. Zope is
only one of them; gtk, Qt, etc packages are still struggling with
Unicode support. omniORBpy has #include <python15/Python.h> in their
sources, ILU does not compile on 2.0 (due to wrong tests involving the
PY_MAJOR/MINOR roll-over), Fnorb falls into the select.bind parameter
change pitfall. This list probably could be continued - I'm sure many
of the maintainers of these packages would appreciate a helping hand
from some Python Guru.

Regards,
Martin