[Python-Dev] PEP 208 comment

Sat, 6 Jan 2001 11:06:49 +0100

I just studied PEP 208 for the first time. Overall, it seems all
natural and nice, but there is one one aspect I'd like to see changed:
the naming of the type flag.

Currently, it is called Py_TPFLAGS_NEWSTYLENUMBER. IMHO, nothing in a
program should be called "new". The flag will still be there five
years from now, but it won't be new anymore. Also, while the flag
indicates that style of the numbers is new, it does not say what it
does. So I propose to rename it; if nobody finds a better name, I
propose to call it Py_TPFLAGS_UNCOERCED.

Regards,
Martin