[Python-Dev] autoconfigure patch submitted on SourceForge

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 21:45:57 +0100

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 09:27:50AM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > You may be right.  Still, this patch solves the immediate problem in a
> > reasonably clean way, and I urge that it should go in.  We can do a
> > more complete reorganization of the build process later.  (I'll help with
> > that; I'm pretty expert with autoconf and friends.)

> I expect Andrew's code to go in before 2.1 is released.  So I don't
> see a reason why we should hurry and check in a stop-gap measure.

Oh, we're gonna distribute binaries of Python 2.0/1.5.2-with-distutils for
every known platform that can run configure ? :) I still think there are
more than enough platforms without Python to warrant using autoconf for
configuring modules. The module list and their demands are stable enough to
make maintenance a fair breeze, IMHO.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>